Back to Top
Lido Dunes Civic Association

Lido History

The Lido Dunes area, which extends from Allevard Street East to Prescott Street, is designated on the town map as the Lido Beach Park District.  We have no “home rule”:  We are in the political jurisdiction of the Town of Hempstead and belong to the Long Beach City School District.  Our postal services are from the main Long Beach Post Office (zip code 11561).  While we have no official “Lido Beach” representation in the Nassau County Legislature, we have fostered good relationships with a succession of legislature representatives to ensure that our concerns are heard.

Lido Beach was planned and early development was begun by a private firm owned by Senator (N.Y. State) Reynolds in the 1920’s.  This was the same man who is often referred to as the “father” of Long Beach.  His property extended from what is now Allevard Street, all the way down to Point Lookout.  The plan went so far as to extend the roadway (Ocean Blvd.), which now runs behind the dunes from Allevard to Harrogate Street, all the way to Point Lookout.  The master plan envisioned hundreds of future bungalows served by this route.  At the time, Lido Blvd. was a 2-lane road.  The Reynolds Corporation was among many caught in the Great Depression, and, happily for us, the plan was never carried out.

The lots in Lido Beach were laid out in 1927 by William H. Reynolds, then a New York Senator. Intended as a summer colony, the lots were mapped out with dimension of only 20x65 feet. Only two lots were required to build a summer home. Ocean Blvd was planned to extend to the East into Point Lookout. The western section of Lido Beach was first known as Lido Colony. Many of the older homes in the area were built right around the Depression. During the period of Prohibition at least one house, still existing, (26 Royat Street) was know as a drop for the rum-runners.

During the WW II years, the plot at the south end of the block between Luchon and Royat Streets was the site of one or more Army tents. The soldiers stationed there patrolled the beach with K-9 dogs to minimize, in part, the possibility of the landing of German agents from off shore submarines, as happened at Amagansett.

There were other nearby military (Navy) facilities. To the North of Lido Boulevard, there were the Lido Beach barracks, a hospital and a school. After the war years, that site was used to house many veterans and their families. Also located on the facility was a small general store run by Mrs. Pappageorge, the original owner of Marvel Ice Cream. Bernie and Florence Hausman were the first family on the base in 1947. Florence still lives on Royat Street and we all miss Bernie!

Lido TowersNewsday writes: World War II revitalized the hotel: the Navy used it as a discharge station. When the war ended, developers Bernard and Seymour Jacovitz led a building boom in the area near the hotel. Completion of the Loop Parkway in 1934 made Lido Beach more accessible - until then motorists had to wend their way through streets in Long Beach, Island Park, Oceanside and Rockville Centre - but unlike Long Beach, Lido Beach never developed into a major resort. Indeed, the hotel that gives the community its name was converted to residential condominiums in the 1960s, leaving Lido Beach almost entirely residential. Residents fought to keep it that way at various times in the past few decades, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. Nightclubs and bathing clubs arrived, but residents did manage to beat back an attempt in the 1960s that would have allowed multistory apartment buildings.

At Lido Boulevard and Allevard Street, there was an establishment called the 19th Hole, owned and run by Mr. & Mrs. Pappageorge. This local bar was very popular and remained open into the 1960’s. Mrs. Pappageorge, also used to sell or sneak candy to the Veteran’s who lived at the barracks. Marvel Ice Cream was there then.

Sometime after the Depression, the Reynolds’ Estate was involved in a bankruptcy proceeding, and the street beds were purchased on behalf of the Association from the Trustee in Bankruptcy for the use in the area. Several members of the Association, who understood real estate activities, led by Dr. Leo Tanzer, (91 Nantwick St.), made some very important decisions which have helped all of us.

They met with the Town of Hempstead and deeded the beach at the ends of the street back to the town with the understanding that the beach would remain for the exclusive use of residents living on the South side of Lido Boulevard, between and including Allevard Street and Prescott Street. This became known as the Lido Beach Park District. The north side of Lido Boulevard was included in the area later on.
Also agreed upon at the time of the transaction, Town of Hempstead would maintain, clean and furnish Lifeguards for the beach. The cost of these activities would be included in our taxes. You will see on your General Tax bill the line item listed as “Lido Beach Park District” 

Sometime around 1953 the Lido-Point Lookout Fire District wanted to locate a fire house for the Lido Beach area at the southeast corner of Leamington Street and Lido Boulevard. Only the efforts of many residents, including, particularly, Sam Nexsen, (who lived at 56 Buxton Street and then moved to 84 Leamington St.), prevented that construction. The final site was later shifted to the north side of Lido Boulevard where it remains today.

Lido Beach played its part in the Cold War, hosting a surface to air missile defense station on the north side of the boulevard, where there is now the Nike School. The Nike does not come from the sportswear manufacturer, but rather the name of the missiles that were stationed there. You can read more below.

In 1971 it was voted and accepted by the members of the Association that the number of walkways would be reduced from 15 to 6. A very difficult decision for many but the outcome was worth it. The original entrances were at the end of each street. This allowed trespassers on the beach. They were noisy, dirty and abusive. The areas were being destroyed and the openings were considered by experts a weak link to our protective barrier against storms.  
The first ramp was completed off Cheltenham Street. All ramps are over the dunes and not visible from Lido Boulevard. They are erected so as not to destroy natural dune growth.

Civic Association
Our Civic Association was started in the late 1940’s early 1950’s. Mr. Harold Gates was the first President. 
The first meetings were held in the driveway of Green family, located at 11 Biarritz Street. The Association also met at the Sam Nexsen house, located at 56 Buxton Street. 
Many of the summer parties were held in the Green’s driveway and cabana area.

In the beginning, there were plenty of “No’s” for people in the community. Residents were encouraged and required to keep to the rules.

For Example:
- No Food
- No baby bottles
- No nude swimming or running
- No Veterans 

Nike Missile Base 
Did you know that we used to have our own cold war era missile defense system  on the north side of Lido Boulevard east of the Lido Golf Club? Read this interesting article courtesy of the Long Beach Schools website.

Lido Naval Base 
The Lido Towers Condominium complex, formerly known as the Lido Hotel, was requisitioned by the US Navy during World War II as a base for training for shore landing operations. At the war's end it was used as a decommissioning center for returning veterans.